Saturday 30 July 2016

Stuff, Stuff and More Stuff ...


July 18-20, 2016


The packers arrived on Monday, July 18 to prepare my stuff either for shipping to Moscow by Air or Sea or Long Term Storage (LTS). Given that my apartment in Moscow is furnished, the bulk of my furniture and irreplaceable items were destined for LTS while my dishes, art, clothes and many treasured tchotchkes (Russian word for useless objects) were being shipped to Moscow to liven up and provide the "Judy" touch for my new home. 

Justin and Ryan filled box after box with my treasures and made sure that I maxed out on the air shipment as that will likely arrive sometime in August while the sea shipment will likely not materialize until October. Decisions, decisions, decisions … what will I need/want sooner rather than later. It was a bit of a scramble as I had underestimated the possible size of the air shipment so I was pulling things out of suitcases, drawers and cupboards so who knows what is coming! 
Картинки по запросу pictures of packing to move
 As luck would have it my favourite Vikings; Chantale, Jan, Samuel and Marcos were visiting from Denmark so I had invited them for a clean out the fridge supper. Joined by Lynn and Gavin, we dined among the boxes on honey bourbon back ribs, corn on the cob, salad and rice with strawberry shortcake for dessert washed down with some wine and beer. What a great evening reminding me that even though I was going to be far from home there would be some friends close by in Denmark. 

Justin and Ryan were back on Tuesday to complete the packing and benefited from leftover ribs and all the fixings including dessert at lunchtime so they were pretty happy too! 

Wednesday, the movers arrived and packed the truck with all and sundry.  The process of loading the truck was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle (unloading will be more like Jenga!) to make sure the sea shipment and LTS boxes were separated and that weight, etc. we take into consideration for packing. Several hours later it was just me and the dust bunnies left in the house. It was bittersweet to clean-up one last time. Gavin and I had a beer on the front steps and then I headed to Karen Wood’s for my last night in Ottawa; drinks and snacks by the pool with a few girlfriends.

No comments:

Post a Comment